Theme Preview Rss

When the spirit moves you...

Today I have been blessed beyond measure.  I have truly been touched by the Holy Spirit. For some time I have wondered, and often met with skepticism (of my own) to the whole believing of tongues mentioned in the Bible.  Anointing with oil? Fine with it.  Healing from God? not only fine with it but personally believe in the healing powers of the Lord and, I have experienced it first hand. But tongues?  Not sure. Doubtful...

Now, I attend a Pentecostal church. Let me first say that I did not KNOW it was a Pentecostal church the first time I went there, I just felt "called" to attend and found their doctrine to be sound.  I am not a "Holy Roller"  and you won't likely find me being the vocal one in the crowd. But my heart is on fire for the Lord our God, and I am blessed with a congregation as joyful in the spirit and that we have a Pastor that delivers Scripture messages full force. He holds no punches and sweetens no milk. The truth, the light, the Word of the Lord.

Today in our sermon, there was mentioning of the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and the fact that the baptism of spirit often presents itself as the ability to speak in tongues. Of course, that got my mind wondering and my prayers lifting.  (Often my prayers of this nature are more of a spiritual musing with the Lord. A light conversation, if you will).

I passively spoke with the Lord about this whole "tongues" thing.  Then, as we had fellowship afterward the Lord's Supper, I felt compelled to pray for a fellow sister in Christ and started speaking with her. She spoke of the baptism of spirit, and the gift of tongues and the like.  Again, I mused and prayed over it as I drove home.

I had some spiritual connection this evening and fell onto Facebook, mostly just by habit. There another Sister in Christ mentions speaking in tongues and such! I was totally blown away and read again, which lead me to pray more fervently. Part of my more private side is embarrassed to say, but mostly my heart will not bear the silence; I have to share!

Tonight, after praying, I felt a stirring... a pressing urge to just let go.  I was resistant; I didn't understand it, but I thought, "Maybe this is what my prayers are leading to".  So gave in.  Out of my mouth comes what I can only describe as it is mentioned here in the Bible...

1 Corinthians 14:14-15

New International Version (NIV)

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

It was unlike anything I have ever experienced.  I had never had a time in my life where my mind WAS unfruitful but my spirit joyful, praising, praying, and thankful in ways I could not possibly express!   I am still in awe.

For those of you who are still skeptical; I did not research the above verse before I had this experience. I did not have any idea what it would be like, what to expect, or how to feel. Honestly, I didn't even know it was there!  But I CAN tell you, I HAVE felt that urge before. I just never understood what it was. Me being so internalized, so private, I do not give into things like this.  Perhaps if my physical body was as immediately as obedient as my spirit, I would've had this experience years ago!

I share this intimate experience with you and it makes me uncomfortable. I am a private person on very personal levels and I am really opening myself up with this. But, this experience was just so joyful! I want others who stumble upon this to know, this once skeptical mind has peace.

I am not sure if that single gift of the spirit is the only one that shows the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but I am thankful I was given the gift nerveless. Personally speaking, I can not get enough gifts from the Lord. ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...